Complete our online questionnaire
The facts about CPD:
CPD is defined as 'study, training courses, seminars, reading and other activities undertaken by a dental professional, which could reasonably
be expected to advance his or her professional development as a dental professional.'
- Compulsory CPD was introduced by the General Dental Council on 1 August 2008 for all dental care professionals (DCPs).
- Dental hygienists and dental therapists will be required to undertake 150 hours of CPD over a five year cycle. One third of the requirement
will be termed verifiable CPD.
- Core subjects for DCPs will match those for dentists:
- Medical emergencies (10 hours per cycle);
- Disinfection and decontamination (5 hours per cycle); and
- Radiography and radiation protection (5 hours per cycle).
In addition, the GDC recommend that dental hygienists and dental therapists undertake CPD in legal and ethical issues, and complaints handling.
- There are many ways for dental hygienists and dental therapists to complete CPD, including lectures, attending courses, staff training, reading
journals and private study.
- CPD records must be kept in accordance with GDC recommendations as they are subject to random review.
- Verifiable CPD means the activity must have:
- Concise educational aims and objectives - a clear purpose or goal;
- Clear anticipated outcomes - you should know what you can expect to gain as a result of taking part in the activity;
- Quality controls - you should have the chance to give feedback;
- Documentary proof (eg. a certificate) - to prove you took part in the activity.
BSDHT is committed to providing high quality, verifiable CPD at both regional and national level. In addition, the Society's journal, Dental Health, will
continue to provide articles linked to CPD activity.
Online CPD in conjunction with Dental Health
BSDHT has teamed up with Stephen Hancocks Ltd to provide online CPD. This system allows BSDHT members to complete their CPD online, receive immediate feedback
on the responses recorded and print out a certificate to confirm the activity undertaken (verifiable CPD). To log on to this service you will need
your BSDHT membership number.
To connect to the service and set up an account (no charge will be levied for Bronze membership), please click on this link: www.shancocksltd.co.uk