CPD is defined as ‘study, training courses, seminars, reading and other activities undertaken by a dental professional, which could reasonably be expected to advance his or her professional development as a dental professional.’
BSDHT is committed to providing high quality, enhanced CPD at both regional and national level. In addition, the Society’s journal, Dental Health, will continue to provide articles linked to CPD activity.
As you are aware, as from 1st August 2018 there were changes to CPD. Dental Hygienists and Dental Therapists will need to undertake a minimum of 75 hours in a five year cycle. You will only need to submit verifiable CPD to the GDC, but you may wish to continue with none verifiable.
All registrants will also need to keep a personal development plan (PDP), log of completed activity and evidence of completed activity. If you already are using a PDP you may carry on using the same one. As part of the enhanced CPD programme, registrants will also need to reflect on the CPD they have undertaken.
All CPD provided by BSDHT after the 1st August 2018 will meet the requirements of the GDC’s ECPD
- There are many ways for dental hygienists and dental therapists to complete CPD, including lectures, attending courses, staff training, reading journals and private study.
- Enhanced CPD records must be kept in accordance with GDC recommendations as they are subject to random review.
- Enhanced CPD means the activity must have:
- Concise educational aims and objectives – a clear purpose or goal;
- Clear anticipated outcomes – you should know what you can expect to gain as a result of taking part in the activity;
- Quality controls – you should have the chance to give feedback;
- Documentary proof (eg. a certificate) – to prove you took part in the activity.
About BSDHT eCPD
Aims and outcomes
The overall aim of the Programme is to provide an opportunity for dental hygienists and dental therapists to learn about a broad range of topics meeting the GDC’s eCPD and to reflect upon your learning.
To achieve this aim, four standard questions which demonstrate current and future learning, reflection, and application to practice have been set for this paper. All four questions have a minimum word count which must be adhered to in order to receive a CPD certificate, and will be reviewed by an internal review panel.
IF YOU WISH TO RETAIN YOUR RESPONSES FOR YOUR OWN RECORDS, PLEASE COPY AND PASTE YOUR RESPONSES INTO A WORD DOCUMENT BEFORE YOU SUBMIT ON SURVEY MONKEY.
For more information, please see video….