Qualifications & Educational Programmes
There are several ways to qualify as a Dental Hygienist / Dental Therapist:
- Diploma in Dental Hygiene – two year full time course
- Diploma in Dental Hygiene & Therapy – 27 month full time course
- BSc in Oral Health Science – three year full time course
- BSc (Hons) (Edinburgh) – four year course.
Along with Diploma in Dental Hygiene, the University of Essex also offer a Foundation Degree in Oral Health Science (2 year course).
The entry requirements for these courses vary and you are advised to contact the school of your choice directly for a prospectus.
To have worked in a dental environment and obtained a dental nurse qualification, would be advantageous.
All training is based on the curricula determined by the General Dental Council. A further General Dental Council document confirms your scope of practice.
Useful links to University Course Guides for information on suitable courses:
- WhatUni? website for information on Dental Hygiene Degree Courses
- The UniGuide
- NHS Health Education England – ‘Health Careers‘ Course Finder